August 8, 1972 was a wonderful day in history for it was the day that yours truly was born :-).
I know, I know …I can’t really be 45 years old right? I look way too young for that :-).
Alas, I am indeed truly 45 years old today. So, to celebrate my 45 years, I am going to make a list of 45 things I have learned through those years.
Here we go:
- 1972 – YAY….I learned how to breathe and eat! (Good things to know for the rest of my life ;-))
- 1973 – I learned to walk & talk (trust me, people that know me will say that once I learned how to talk, I never stopped!)
- 1974 – I learned how to read and write (and I still love doing both)
- 1975 – I learned how to dress myself (very important life skill!)
- 1976 – I learned how totally awesome Saturday Morning Cartoons were (Tom and Jerry, Woody Woodpecker, Scooby Doo oh yeah!)
- 1977 – I learned that school was fun (1/2 day Kindergarten woohoo!)
- 1978 – I learned that I don’t like Catholic School uniforms
- 1979 – I learned that Alzheimer’s is heartbreaking condition and confusing (for a 7-year-old).
- 1980 – I learned that I love singing…thanks to Sister Mary Joice at St Brendan’s in the Bronx!
- 1981 – I learned that sometimes families don’t stay together – that lesson hurt.
- 1982 – I learned that people, even the ones that love you, can disappoint you – another one that hurt a lot.
- 1983 – I learned about death. During this year I lost my grandfather & an Uncle. It was the first time death struck somebody close to me.
- 1984 – I learned that some kids can be so cruel, unfortunately, I was teased & bullied a lot
- 1985 – I learned that many people will judge you by what you look like.
- 1986 – I learned how to forgive people that I love because we all make mistakes.
- 1987 – I learned how to tease my hair with Aquanet!! More importantly, though, I learned how truly important it is to have close friends.
- 1988 – I learned that I really enjoyed when people confided in me & asked me for help. This was the start of my desire to be a Psychologist.
- 1989 – I learned that life can be exciting and scary at the same time.
- 1990 – I learned that life does indeed go on, even if you fail at something that seems extremely important at the time.
- 1991 – I learned that if you want something in life, you need to work for it yourself! The more you want it the harder you will work for it.
- 1992 – I learned that having a good boss is a blessing!
- 1993 – I learned to never leave a loved one without saying goodbye & that you love them. Seeing them again is never promised, anything can happen at the drop of a hat. (RIP Dad – I miss you)
- 1994 – I learned that listening to people & taking any knowledge available to me is a great way to move up in the corporate world.
- 1995 – I learned that people come in many different personalities and each type of personality needs to be interacted with in a different way. This is probably one of the biggest & most important lessons I have ever learned in my life.
- 1996 – I learned what it feels like to be truly loved by somebody.
- 1997 – I learned that a low – cost casual wedding in the park is awesome. I never understood wasting so much money on fancy weddings.
- 1998 – I learned that struggling in life is so much easy when you go through it with somebody you love.
- 1999 – I learned that we all choose our attitudes towards life each & every day!
- 2000 – I learned that there is no way to explain the overwhelming love that filled me when I held my gorgeous little girl.
- 2001 – I learned once again that life is fragile & we are never promised another day. Let people know that you love them!
- 2002 – I learned how important it is to take care of yourself so you can continue to take care of your loved ones.
- 2003 – I learned once again the overwhelming love for a baby!
- 2004 – I learned that living without friends and family nearby is really difficult, but I also learned that sometimes you meet great friends in unexpected places.
- 2005 – I learned that a parent should always trust their instincts.
- 2006 – I learned a lot about ADHD, Autism & ODD – much more than I wanted to know.
- 2007 – I learned that I had a voice & I needed to use it to speak up for my child.
- 2008 – I learned how truly important it is to educate myself on public schools & what they can do for a special needs child
- 2009 – I learned that prayer is one of the best ways to work through some really difficult times.
- 2010 – I learned that not everybody is going to like me all the time & that is ok.
- 2011 – I learned how important it is for people to take care of each other. Donating time, services and/or money is a necessity.
- 2012 – I learned that everything happens for a reason even if you don’t have any idea what it is at the time.
- 2013 – I learned that mental health affects an entire family, not just the person diagnosed, but I also learned that love & acceptance can help keep the family strong.
- 2014 – I learned that my kids are growing up way too quickly!
- 2015 – I learned that no matter how hard you try, you just can’t please some people and that’s their problem, not mine.
- 2016 – I learned to finally believe in myself & fully trust God.
What have you learned in life?